Head of School – Freddie
Deputy Head of School – Rowan
Head of Brunel – Giovanni
Head of Smythe – William
Our School Council members are integral to Torwood as it gives our pupils a ‘voice’ and allows them to make formal decisions on a range of areas, such as school menus and events.
School Council achievements in 2018:
- Clothes ‘drive’ raised £102
- Secondhand book and cake sales raised £46
- Decorating playground as Santa’s Grotto and supplied presents for everyone
- Reduced waste in dining hall by asking kitchen to reduce the size of seconds
- Held ‘Head of the Day’ raffle raising £82.
School Council achievements in 2019:
- Ice lollies provided on two occasions as a treat for the whole school
- Interview held with Pauline, Catering Manager, to discuss using more local and seasonal produce resulting in a menu change
- Organised a whole school vote on what to spend school council annual budget on
- Raised £63 for Blaise Weston Court through mufti day and raised a further £96 through purchase of collaborative art pieces
- Organised Red Nose Sale and event
- Enjoyed an afternoon tea hosted by Mrs Packer as a thank you to council members.
Meeting agenda and feedback:
- Reviewed minutes from last meeting – Chinese New Year lunch confirmed 28/1/20 – alternative meal available for those who do not like stir fry?
- School Council had a sample of ‘Storytime’ magazines (some for the younger children and some for the older children) to look through and discuss with a view to possibly purchasing a subscription. There was a vote and it was decided that as it was quite expensive and KS2 already have the First News which is much enjoyed and appreciated that the younger children should have an opportunity. So two class reps are going to explain to the class that they have samples to look through and to feedback to them to let the School Council know their thoughts. Another School Council member mentioned that the older children could do shared reading with the younger children to get them used to the magazines.
- Discussed school events this year and the School Council made suggestions of what they could do: plant a seed campaign – give a seed to each member of school and ask them to plant it (possibly make bee friendly seed bombs to see?); Traders market – run like a ‘Swap shop’ or ‘Bring and Buy’ sale
- Be Head of the Day raffle for the Summer term.